The airline is responsible for children who travel alone (Unaccompanied Minors, UM) throughout their entire journey, from the departure airport to their final destination.
- Children who are 5-12 years old may travel as unaccompanied minors. An appropriate UM reservation must be made for each child at the time of travel reservation.
- The UM service is not offered for children under 5 years old. Children under 5 years old are accepted for travel only if they travel with person who is at least 18 years old.
- Young persons of 12-17 years old who are travelling alone can also be offered the same UM service as that provided for 5-11 year-olds.
- The number of unaccompanied minors is limited (to five on SmartLynx Airlines' flights), so it is recommended to book the trip in good time before the planned date of travel.
Before the Flight
- Contact information (addresses and telephone number) of the person seeing the child off and the person meeting the child at arrival, has to be given already at the time of travel reservation. Moreover, the transportation agreement, named the UM Handling Advice, should be completed calmly well in advance of travelling. The person seeing the child off agrees to the terms and conditions of the handling advice for the whole journey by signing the contract. This person is also asked to show identification at the airport.
- It is recommended that you arrive at the airport well before the flight departure, so that all of the details in the documents can be checked and any omissions rectified.
The UM Handling form is obtainable from our travel agents and in SmartLynx offices. Fill in the form before arriving to the check-in.
- Unaccompanied minors must register at check-in, even if they have only carry-on baggage.
- At the check-in desk, the assistant will check whether the flight is on schedule and, in the case of any irregularities, provide assistance in rearranging travel plans.
- Unaccompanied minors must be at the departure gate at least 40 minutes before the departure of the aircraft, because child passengers are taken on to the aircraft before the other passengers.
- The person seeing the child off at the airport must wait until the aircraft has departed (in practice, until the flight information is removed from the monitors and information boards).
During the Flight
The cabin crew will attend to child passengers throughout the flight.
After the Flight
- The adult stated in the UM Handling Advice must meet the unaccompanied minor at the airport.
- The ground handling personnel will identity the recipient and make a note of the identification on the UM Handling Advice, when handing over the child.