Firearms and Ammunition
Sporting and hunting guns are accepted as checked baggage only in the aircraft hold. The firearm must be unloaded and suitably packed so that it will not be damaged during the flight. To prevent breakage, hard-shell cases are recommended for packing the firearm. Information of the firearm shall be given to the airline at the time of travel reservation. It is the duty of the passenger to ensure that all the required licenses have been obtained and that all import regulations/restrictions of the destination country are observed.
Only ammunition for sporting or hunting guns will be accepted for carriage. The amount of ammunition must not exceed 5kg per passenger. Allowances for more than one passenger cannot be combined into one or more packages. The ammunition shall be suitably packed in a secure box. The ammunition may be transported in the same container as the firearm, if there is a special compartment provided for ammunition, but there shall be no ammunition in the gun itself.
The following materials and articles must never be taken on to a flight:
- explosives - such as fireworks, flares, toy weapons and detonators;
- flammable aerosol gases (over 2kg or 2 liters), camping gas bottles;
- carbon dioxide cartridges or soda siphons, lighter refilling bottles, butane gas canisters;
- super-cooled gases - liquid nitrogen;
- flammable materials - paints, thinners, solvents, firelighters;
- oxidizing materials - bleaches;
- organic peroxides - resins or poisons, such as arsenic, cyanide, tear gas, insecticides;
- infectious agents - viruses and bacteria that can affect people or animals;
- radioactive materials - instruments that contain radioactive isotopes;
- corrosive materials - acids, alkalis, mercury or thermometers with mercury core, barometers;
- alcoholic drinks containing more than 70% alcohol;
- disabling devices such as mace, pepper spray etc. containing an irritant or incapacitating substance are prohibited on the person in checked or carry-on baggage.
Materials Subject to Restrictions
Special care must be taken when transporting and packing these materials and it is recommended that you obtain further information when you book via travel agency:
- ammunition for sports weapons, up to a maximum of 5 kg per passenger, packet firmly in boxes. Permission for transport must be obtained in advance from SmartLynx Airlines;
- personal hygiene and medicinal products, e.g. hair lacquer, which incorporates an aerosol, up to a maximum of 2 kg or 2 liters per passenger either in carry-on baggage or checked baggage, the unit size must be 0.5 liter or 0.5 kg at most. Mosquito repellent that is applied on your skin, is allowed either in carry-on baggage or checked baggage;
- matches and a lighter intended for personal use must be kept in a pocket or in a lady's handbag and should not be packed into baggage. The carrying of lighter refill bottles is prohibited;
- one catalytic curler per passenger either in carry-on baggage or checked baggage, its use is prohibited during the flight;
- passengers with an external pacemaker must contact the flight physician prior to travelling;
- a maximum of 5 liters of alcoholic drinks containing at most 70% alcohol may be transported as carry-on baggage and included in the maximum weight and size limit of carry-on baggage;
- small (under 5 kg) oxygen and air tanks for medical purposes may be included in checked baggage after obtaining permission from SmartLynx Airlines.