For SmartLynx Airlines flights the maximum size for carry-on baggage is 56x45x25 cm. The maximum weight of carry-on baggage might vary, depending on your destination. Please check the allowed weight of your carry-on baggage in section “My Flight”.
For security reasons, sharp objects such as knives, scissors, cork screws, needles, tongs, golf clubs or ice skates may not be packed in carry-on baggage. Restrictions may vary for some routes.
The maximum weight of check-in baggage might vary, depending on your destination. Please check the allowed weight of your check-in baggage in section “My Flight”. The number of luggage pieces is not restricted as long as the total weight does not exceed the maximum allowed weight. Exceptions are only made for special baggage such as sporting equipment, musical instruments, pets and wheelchairs, for which space needs to be reserved in advance. Restrictions may vary for some routes.
For infants under 2 years of age a foldable pushchair/carriage is allowed.
Baggage Safety Restrictions
Pack the following items into check-in baggage or leave them at home. These items are not allowed in the cabin of an aircraft:
- Firearms: any item that can be used to fire a shot (whether by explosion, pressure or gas), including start and light guns;
- Knives and cutters: scissors, razors, sables, swords, paper cutters, hunting knives, souvenir knives, combat equipment, tools;
- Items usable as mauls such as sticks, flashlights (over 30 cm in length), large sports equipment such as baseball clubs, golf clubs and hockey sticks;
- Items and substances that may be used to disable a person, all items that can be used to disable a person using electric shock;
- Other items such as ice skates, ice awls, ski poles, knitting needles, handcuffs, fishing equipment, toy guns/grenades or replicas thereof;
- All objects that may be used to imitate a lethal weapon, such as bomb- or gun-shaped objects or otherwise dangerous looking items.
- It is prohibited to carry bottles and containers that have markings for poisonous, toxic or easily flammable contents on them.
Following items are not allowed in both carry-on baggage and check-in baggage:
- Liquid, pressurized, flammable or poisonous gases such as butane containers for trekking cookers, oxygen and air tanks for divers, acetylene, liquid nitrogen, ammonium, chlorine;
- Flammable liquids and solids such as paints, thinners, gasoline, diesel, celluloid, phosphorus, calcium carbide, sodium;
- Explosives, ammunition, fireworks and flares;
- Corrosive substances such as battery acid, sulphuric acid, sodium hydroxide, mercury;
- Oxidizing substances such as bleach, chemical oxygen generators, ammonium nitrate fertilizers, calcium chlorate;
- Poisons and infectious substances such as arsenic, nicotine, pesticides, bacteria, viruses;
- Radioactive materials such as sources of radiation used for industrial and medical purposes, cobalt-60, cesium-13;
- Other dangerous substances such as asbestos, dry ice, strong magnets, fuel-burning engines, environmental toxins.
Some substances and materials rated dangerous may be transported. For example matches or a lighter may be carried in a pocket inside the cabin.
Handling and Responsibility for Damages
The primary task of baggage is to protect its contents from damage. Baggage processing at the airport involves rapid physical handling, which causes normal wear and tear. SmartLynx Airlines is not responsible for minor damage to checked baggage which does not render the baggage unusable. The airline’s responsibility for damage that happens to checked baggage is internationally limited accordingly Regulation (EC) No 889/2002 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 May 2002 amending Council Regulation (EC) No 2027/97 on air carrier liability in the event of accidents. A passenger can benefit from a higher liability limit by making a special declaration at the latest at check-in and by paying a supplementary fee.
Airline is not responsible for:
- Items that protrude from baggage such as wheels, baggage feet and handles;
- Loss or breakage of external locks, zips, pull straps or security straps;
- Items of a fragile (musical and sporting equipment) or perishable nature;
- Child’s pushchair/buggy, safety seat, pram;
- Designer bags;
- Baggage containing valuable items;
- Baggage accepted after the check-in closure time;
- Manufacturer’s defects
It is to the passenger’s benefit to ensure that all articles are insured to their full value.
SmartLynx Airlines recommends passengers to insure all baggage.